Who doesn’t love a good grilled burger in the summer? Today I want to share a healthier ground chicken burger, but I want to give you one that will still satisfy that burger craving!
The ingredients are simple pantry staples so these burgers are quick and easy to throw together. I added a bonus recipe of a quick slaw that you can optionally make as well. And, for those leftover black beans and corn, I have a great corn and bean salsa recipe (aka Mexican Caviar) that Ill share in an upcoming post. But if you want to keep it extra simple, just throw some of the extra beans and corn into your rice bowl.
I served my burgers over rice (I’m kinda hooked on burger bowls lately), but these burgers can obviously be served on a traditional bun as well (I recommend a whole grain bun). I would recommend topping with some guacamole and a dab of salsa. Serve the slaw on the side, or as an additional burger topping. Yum!
Please share any other ideas you have for enjoying these burgers in the comment section. I love to hear new ideas!
THE WHAT: 1 cup cooked brown rice BURGERS 1 lb ground chicken meat (or turkey works great too) 1/4 cup ground flax seed 1/2 cup black beans (If using canned, drain and rinse first) 1/3 cup corn (If using canned, drain & rinse first) 1 large minced garlic clove 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt 1/2 teaspoon chili powder 3 Tablespoons salsa of choice 1 avocado (Optional) Quick Lime Slaw Juice of 1 lime 3 Tablespoons avocado oil (or EVOO) 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt 1/4 teaspoon chili powder 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional) 1/2 head of small green cabbage finely sliced
- Cook brown rice according to package directions. Use bone broth instead of water if you have any on hand.
- In a medium bowl add all of the burger ingredients and ‘squish’ together by hand to blend well.
- Press into 4-5 patties and set on plate. If you have time to let them marinate, stick the patties back in the fridge for 30 minutes (or as long as overnight). It really helps make them more flavorful, but they are good even if you throw them right on the grill.
- drizzle a little EVOO on each side so they do not stick to the grill.
- Place burger patties on a hot grill.
- Cook the burgers 7 minutes the first side and approximately 6 minutes the second side. Check the internal temperature of the burgers if you are unsure, but do your best not to overcook as this will dry them out.
- While the burgers are grilling, add all slaw ingredients to a small bowl and toss thoroughly to fully coat the cabbage. Set aside.
- Once peppers cool a bit, you can peal the skin (if you like) and slice them long ways.
- Slice or cube your avocado.
- Once burgers are done, let them rest approx. 5 minutes.
- Assemble your burger bowl:
- Place a 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice in the bottom of a bowl
- Add a burger
- Top the burger with some Quick Lime Slaw
- Add the Mexican Caviar (if you opted to make it), or just sprinkle some of the extra beans and corn into the bowl
- Add some avocado slices and drizzle with some salsa