I love seafood and was looking for something I could make into a keto seafood meal aside from another salmon fillet. I happened to be looking thorugh some wild caught seafood options at Trader Joe’s and something caught my eye – this package of wild caught crab meat with only one ingredient – crab meat! Score!
I had been playing around w/ a salmon cake recipe, but hadnt got it just right yet. The canned variety is good, but this frozen crab meat is lump crab and frozen from fresh (not processed at all). I knew I could do more with this! These exceeded my expectations. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family and I did. I secretely wanted to hoard them all for myself.
COMBINE THE FOLLOWING: 1 Flax egg - 1 Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp water (combine and let sit for 3-5 mins prior to adding) 1 large egg 1/4 tsp paprika 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 2 Tbsp finely diced onion Juice from 1/2 a lemon 2 Tbsp mayo (I like Primal Kitchen's avocado oil mayo) 1 Tbsp mayo for topping cooked crab cakes 5 Tbsp Tigernut flour (I found Organic Gemini brand on Thrive) (almond flour would probably work as well, but I have not tried) 2 packages of Trader Joes Wild Caught Crab Meat (there are 2 per package) 2 Tbsp coconut oil or ghee (for frying)
- Throw all of the ingredients aside from the crab into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the crab and fold into the wet ingredients. Add more flour if necessary to create a thicker batter. Note that the batter will be loose but will bind as you cook due to the egg.
- Add oil of choice (use a high temp oil like those listed above) to a hot non-stick pan and once the oil is hot, drop the batter into 4 equally sized cakes.
- Brown approx 4-5 mins on each side.
- I served mine atop a couple bib lettuce leaves w/ an extra dollop of mayo on top for taste (and to balance out my macros).
I also sauteed some kale for my side, squeezed a lemon wedge over everything and it made a fantastic and satisfying meal.
MACROS: 426 cal, Fat = 32g (68%), Carbs = 8g net (7%), Protein = 27g (25%)
- I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!
Check out my food and fitness inspirations on Instagram – just follow dailybagofgoodness